Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Happy Wanderer and Good-byes

Do you remember when I wrote this post about our garden and I explained that the first thing we did to our barren side yard was to plant hardenbergia?  Well folks, this is why we did.




Hardenbergia, also known as the Happy Wanderer, is an evergreen vine that is at its most glorious during the sparse winter months.  The weather has begun to warm up a bit for us here so we decided to go out and enjoy it.  When we did we were greeted by several lilac colored bunches of happy flowers covering our patio.  January was such a full month and has passed so slowly that I had completely forgotten about them.  


After the holidays, we said good-bye to a cherished family member, our Grandma Meb. She was the softness to the rest of our constant joking.  I used to love to try to shock her just for fun.  I loved to see how long she could look disapproving before dissolving into laughter herself.  She loved to hug, kiss and give something that she called, "love pats"...which were actually minor bruise-inducing thumps to our thighs accompanied by fierce I love you's.  She wanted to make sure we knew it and would never forget it.


Despite being incredibly strong for one so very small, she was above all, a lady.  In every sense of the word.  Her manners were impeccable (small gossip was of course, an exception).  She always wore her lipstick and pearls and if she wore jeans, they were ironed.  What I remember best though are the small things.  When I was younger, she used to read to me.  Heidi, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys will always be our stories.  When time passed and memories became muddled, she would keep mine safe and tell me stories of my childhood and hers.  We often passed hours this way, looking at photos and telling stories.  Now it is up to me to hold onto these memories and make sure they find their was to the next generations.  I will do my best to keep the memories alive, as she did.


We miss you and love you Grandma Meb.






No comments:

Post a Comment