Monday, October 20, 2014

A Deliciously Simple Jam Crostata for Fall



Summer overstayed its welcome this year.  It just wouldn't end.  Even now, as the cool undertones in the breeze whisper "fall", summer is struggling to stay just.. a.. little.. bit.. longer.  This is why I had to buy the dozens of late summer yellow peaches.  It simply just hit me, when I saw the pears and apples crowding the market stalls, that summer would eventually loosen her grip and I'd have to wait another year to make my jam.  So you see, I had to buy the peaches.

Luckily I found a good use for my pantry of jam (my jamtry if you will...)  You can use a combination of flours for the crostata crust.  It is delicious with a traditional buttery all-purpose flour crust.  I like addition of almond flour, the crumbly texture balances out the the chewy jam.  If you find  the crust too sweet for your taste, try using a more acidic jam or marmalade.  The Blue Chair Jam always balance out their fruit recipes with a good amount of acid so for me, the peach jam was delicious and not too sweet.

End-of-Summer Yellow Peach Jam//recipe from Blue Chair Jam Cookbook


Now for the recipe-

Jam Crostata for Fall

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup cane sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Small pinch of sea salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3 eggs, separated (save the whites for later use)
12 ounces of jam or marmalade

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter a 10 inch tart pan.  I used a slightly smaller 8 inch tart pan for this recipe because I like a thicker crust and having extra crumble topping to use for other desserts later in the week.  If you prefer yours to be thinner, use the larger pan.
  • In a food processor pulse together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter until the mixture is crumbly and resembles soft sand. Add the three egg yolks and pulse until mixture just begins to hold together.  Press 3/4 of dough mixture into your tart pan.  Reserve the remaining mixture.  This is your crumble topping.  There is no need to blind bake the crust first.
  • Spread your jam of choice over the dough.  Be sure to go all the way to the sides.  The parts touching the pan turn out chewy and good!
  • Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture on the top and bake for 30-40 minutes.

    Crostata Crust//photography by Amuse Me

Jam Crostata//photography by Amuse Me



No comments:

Post a Comment