Monday, August 13, 2012

My Little Green Obsession


Happy Weekend! Do you have a morning pick me up routine? In my college days it was coffee, coffee, and another cup of coffee. I still relish my morning cup and the realization that we are out of coffee beans, still sends me into a panic.
I realized that it was time for a change though when my daughter began to sense my reliance on the java. When she was able to recite my order to the barrista word for word, I knew it was time to set a better example.

Here is where my new green obsession, the Avocado, comes in. It does nothing to help me caffeine addiction but it is loaded with healthy fats and phytonutrients that make your skin glow. Mix it with banana, cucumber, romaine lettuce and almond milk and you will feel and look like you had a full 8 hours rest. I like to add chia seeds for an extra dose of Omega-3 and crunch. These are best sprinkled on the top of the finished smoothie. Chia tends to be a bit slimy when wet and mixing it directly to the blender gummed up the final product in an unappealing way. If you don't have chia seeds you can blend in a handful of sliced almonds or leave them both out altogether. Here is the way I turn mine into a morning smoothie.
1 frozen banana
1/2 avocado
5 or so romaine lettuce leaves
1/2 c almond milk more if smoothie is too thick
1/2 c sliced cucumber
Ice
1 T. Chia seeds

Scoop avocado from shell, add washed, unpeeled cucumber, frozen banana, almond milk, romaine, ice and blend. Pour into glass and add chia seeds to the top and enjoy!
I recommend leaving the chia seeds out of you are making this for children.  My daughter loves the smoothie so much it inspired her to paint this picture of it.
Now how often does that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment